How To Change Name On Social Security Card After Adoption With Ease?

If you’ve just finalized an adoption then you’re probably wondering what you need to do in order to get your new family member a new social security card. While it may look like a long drawn out process, learning how to change name on social security card after adoption is a lot easier than you may have thought.

Gather All Your Documents

In most states, you’re going to need just a few documents in order to get your child’s social security card changed to reflect their new name. First, you’ll need to have a notarized copy of the finalized adoption paperwork from the court that oversaw the adoption. Next, you’ll need your child’s original social security card showing their original name as well as an original birth certificate.

It is important to note that some states require you to have the birth certificate amended prior to getting a new social security card reflecting your child’s name change, but most will let you simply change their name on the card without having to first amend the birth certificate.

Once you have all of your documentation required for social security card name change, all you must do is simply head to your local social security office and apply for the change of name for your child. Once you’ve done this, a new card will be mailed to you. It typically takes from a few days to a few weeks to get your child’s new card, depending on how many requests are ahead of you.

Final Thoughts

As you can see above, it’s really a very simple process to get a new social security card for your adopted child after a name change. The key to having far less hassle with the process is to simply make sure that you have all of the necessary documents prepared ahead of time.

Visit – Social Security Card and find detailed information regarding social security card name change.